What's so special about today? My Gmail account just turned 4! Yipee!! From an invitation-only to a 7GB (And still counting!) inbox, Gmail has come a long way. So here are 10 Gmail features which I bet you'll love to check out!
PS: I've already expanded some of the Must-know features. If you've been using Gmail for a long time, then make sure you "Expand" the ones in the end!! ;)
Still not convinced? check out Top 9 reasons to Archive!
A single arrow ("›") is for emails sent to you and others (Forwards etc), and double arrows ("»") next to emails that are sent just to you (Personal Mails). So just directly Archive all those silly Chain letters!
Label==Folder). On the left-side, just add another Label (say "ToC"). Now check all mails related to it and from the drop-down menu, choose Apply Label.. "ToC". Done! Oh & once you have loads of them, color code them by choosing the Label Style from the drop down!
Manually selecting mails for each Label isn't the best way right? Read more about Filters & find a better way out!
Also, use the new SuperStars feature to add a variety of stars for every purpose (Urgent, Important Info, To-be-replied etc!) Just go to Settings > Labs and select SuperStars. You can choose which Stars you want to use (and their order) by going to Settings and dragging ones that you like!
- Orkut Scrapbook Notifications :- from:orkut subject:(scrap OR message)
- All unread, starred mails in Inbox :- is:unread is:starred in:inbox
- The website someone told me a week back while chatting :- is:chat after:2008/7/9 before:2008/7/17 http
- Recent mails in the label "ToC", not related to Alpha release :- label:ToC -Alpha
- Scan of Ticket sent by Dad :- from:Dad has:attachment
Here's something if you are hungry for more! Otherwise, you can always use "Show Search Options" :P :P
Now you must be thinking, "Who's gonna check two different accounts?". Here's what you should do:
Sign into the "public" Gmail id. Go to Settings > Forwarding and... Enter your "personal" email id in the Auto-Forward to field. This will forward all the mails to your personal id. What's the use? First, you get all mails in One Inbox. Second, you can "Filter" them easily!
This feature is also useful incase you are switching to a new Gmail id (From that silly RashRoxxxCoolGuy2004@gmail.com id), as it'll forward all mails from the old account to the new one.
Update: Nishant wanted to know how to prevent Orkut Notifications from appearing in his Inbox. Check the comments to know how to do so!!
You could also use filters to differentiate mails of your multiple accounts. For ex, if I use email@example.com for subscibing to newsletters, then I can have a filter to mark all mails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to Skip Inbox, and Label as "NewsLetter". No more cluttering my inbox anymore!
PS: When you have a mail open, Open the Drop down menu on top Right > "Filter messages like this" to easily add a filter for similar mails!
Now send mail from your "public" (Or any other) Gmail id while using your "personal" id!
For example, for all my old DPS RKP batchmates, I could give them the id as: rash+DPS@gmail.com. I'll actually be using email@example.com to access these mails, but can easily make filters to organize the mails from my old friends sent on this id!Similarly I can have rash+Urgent@gmail.com which I could give to only a few close friends (And make a filter to Star all mails To: rash+Urgent@gmail.com).
Also, Gmail doesn't recognize the number/position of "." used in a gmail id. So all mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org are sent to the same id: email@example.com!
Also, Enable the Keyboard option from Settings >Labs. This will let you customize the shortcuts according to your wish.
Some of the default Shortcuts I use frequently:
- Open Inbox: G + I
- Go to next (New) conversation: K
- Go to previous (Old) conversation: J
- Star Conversation: S
- Reply to the mail: R
- Forward mail: F
- Compose new Mail: C
- Back to previous view (Helps while returning to search results): U
Update:Oh & Incase you prefer using Mouse, Check out the Mouse Gestures feature in Gmail Labs!
What others said:
- Rijul: Don't forget to use inbuilt Gmail Chat (It has Conference/Group Chat & Cute emoticons!)
- RG: Check out the Vacation Settings too.
- Vandith: Other Labs features are also worth a look!
- Gowtham: Gmail >> Yahoo, thnx to faster loading time & better interface.
- Nitish: Gtalk Labs now out!
- Top 10 Most Read Gmail Tips.
- 3 Gmail Labs Features to Spice your Inbox!
- Tips for Importing Mails to your new Gmail account
- What to do during holidays :D
So those were the 10 Gmail Features you MUST know! How has your experience with Gmail been? Do you use any of the above features? Do let me know!